What should I do if I am in a car accident?

  1. Contact the police to come to the scene of the accident to investigate. If the police do not come to the scene of the accident, make sure you file a police report after you receive treatment for your injuries;
  2. If you are injured in an accident, always make sure that you take care of your medical needs immediately. When you are talking to the 911 operator you should ask them to send an ambulance. If you do not go to the hospital by ambulance, go to an emergency room, a treatment center or your primary care doctor the same day as the accident or the next day at the latest;
  3. Contact your own insurance company to report the claim. Your insurance policy requires you to give prompt notice of any potential claim. If you have collision coverage on your vehicle, your insurance company can pay your property damage claim if there are any problems getting the other driver’s insurance carrier to pay. Also, if you are potentially at-fault for the accident and you are sued, your insurance company will hire an attorney to represent you;
  4. If you suffered any injuries, you should contact a personal injury attorney to discuss any possible claim. Friedman Law Offices, P.C. will provide you with a FREE initial consultation to discuss all of your legal options and help guide you through the entire process. We also work on all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. In other words, we will charge you no fee unless we recovery money for you. If you received a ticket as a result of the accident, we can provide you with representation in traffic court; and
  5. This is very important! Do not sign any papers or give any recorded or sworn statements to any insurance company before you have talked to an attorney.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Contact Us: 312-466-8200